? ??????????????Holy Cow? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.3 (6 Ratings)??29 Grabs Today. 1480 Total Grabs. ??????Pre
view?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ?????White Tiger? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.5 (744 Ratings)??29 Grabs Today. 31615 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ???????????? ????Easy I BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Dreams
The other day I found myself thinking about a picture I drew in the third grade. The assignment was to draw a picture of what we wanted to be when we grew up. I divided my paper in half and one side was titled Tennis Champion and the other, Rockstar. Well, we all know how that turned out! Then in fourth grade I discovered Amy Grant and totally wanted to be just like her. I got a guitar that year for Christmas and started taking lessons soon after that. A spark had definitely been lit within me.

Then I went to my first lesson. Not having the music appreciation that I do now, I frowned upon my teacher because he only played bluegrass and "heehaw music," as I called it. The first song I learned to play on the guitar was "Found a Peanut." Are you kidding me? I am not sure that at any age that would be a cool song to learn. Needless to say, the guitar lessons came and went. Throughout the years, though, I picked up my guitar here and there and taught myself how to play. My first "cool" song (and I use the word cool very loosely) that I taught myself was "Every Rose has it's Thorn" by Poison. You gotta love the Big Hair Bands from the 80's for putting out some great music! Thankfully, there were more songs to learn and much better songs to learn. In college and a few years after I met some really great people who helped me improve my guitar playing skills and even let me sing with them a little. Good times.

Over the past several years my guitar has sat in the corner, becoming dusty and out of tune. I play it on occasion, and each time that I pull it out I wonder why I don't play more. Then, the other night hubby and I went to a local cafe' and heard some really great music - just some songwriters and their guitars. All of the sudden, I was in fourth grade again! My heart was beating fast and I was so excited to get home, pull out my guitar, and strum away.

That night, I decided that I wanted to be a songwriter when I grow up. My music may not fall on the ears of many, but this is something that I want to do for me. It's something that I can enjoy, my family can enjoy, and my Lord can enjoy.

This is a desire that has been in my heart since I was 9. At times I felt moved by it, other times I didn't have the confidence to do it. But finally, at the ripe old age of 32, I am ready to pursue my dream. I have asked for guitar lessons for my birthday and I can't wait to see where things go from there. Watch out Nashville...Here I come!

What about you? What did you dream of as a child and what do you dream of now?

4 comments:

jess said...

girl, you can do it. with that heart of your's and your view of life i know you'd be an awesome songwriter. i fully expect you and matt w. to be famous someday ;)

my dream used to be to grow up to be an actress....ha! and i was terribly shy as a child ;) then, it was a psychologist, then interior decorator, now photographer! jamie would probably say i tie all 4 into daily life!

lauren said...

i totally identify with your post allison! my dusty guitar is in my closet. although, my kids have been my musical inspiration of late. they are an EASY audience and think i'm the best guitar player they've ever heard! :)

i've had quite a few dreams back in the day though...model, fashion designer, graphic designer, missionary to name a few!

Ginny said...

bff i didn't know you were in the blogosphere! i always wanted to be a songwriter but my actual talent never really lives up to the idea in my head.

Amanda said...

What a fun post! It's fun to think of new and exciting things that are out there for us to dream about. And maybe accomplish! I always wanted to be on Broadway...dancer & singer in one. And when I was really little, I wante to be like Mary Lou Retton. :) Now I couldn't even do the splits if you paid me.